The year is 2022, and the recruiting and hiring landscape has changed drastically since 2019. This has created a competitive landscape in which companies are struggling to find qualified sales staff. The average turnover rate for sales positions is 34.7%, which means that CEOs need to be extra diligent when it comes to recruiting and hiring salespeople. Here are some tips on how to cope with the difficulties of sales recruiting and hiring in 2023:
1. Use social media to your advantage. Platforms like LinkedIn have made it easier than ever to connect with potential candidates. Utilize these platforms to post job openings and reach out to potential candidates directly. Don’t forget to refresh your job listings every 3 days or they may end up on the dreaded 10th page of the search.
2. Be specific about who you are looking for. Don’t fall in into the trap of thinking that a job ad should be all about your company. It should clearly state in the first paragraph who you are looking for and allow them to opt-in. “Are you an enterprise sales professional who has sold to senior executives in technology for more than 5 years and has a earnings history of between $150,000 to $175,000?”
3. Get creative with your benefits package. Employee expectations have changed significantly. In today’s competitive landscape, offering a competitive benefits package is a must. Consider offering things like flexible work hours, telecommuting options, or generous vacation time.
4. Make sure you’re using the latest technology. Utilize applicant tracking systems and other tools to help you sift through resumes and find the best candidates for the job.
5. Use a sales specific assessment. Assessments are great tools, but most companies use them incorrectly when it comes to sales roles. Using a sales specific assessment can tell you who is worth your time to interview and who isn’t. (access a free trial of our favorite here.)
With the right strategy, recruiting and hiring salespeople doesn’t have to be an uphill battle. Keep these tips in mind as you navigate the recruiting and hiring landscape in 2022 and beyond.
You can learn more about our Sales Talent Acquisition Routine here.